Friday, May 11, 2012

Day 5: Beautiful Views and the Beach!!!







Today was definitely one of my favorite days. This morning, we visited Vina Indomita and learned about the wine making process. It was a gorgeous day out which made standing outside looking at the vineyard and the hills in the background lovely. Personally, anytime I think about vineyards, the movie The Parent Trap comes to mind. That vineyard was supposed to be in California, so I made a mental comparison between that vineyard and the one in Chile. I noticed they grew some grapes on the hill here, and later the guide mentioned that that was for a different type of wine than those on the flat ground. My parents’ friend is an international pilot and when he and his wife come over to my house he will bring wine from the country he was last in for my parents to try. I remember hearing them discuss all of the different wines and ways they are made, so that it was cool for me to understand what they have been talking about for years. There was some wine tasting, so now I know how to properly drink wine (when I’m 21 of course) and look like a mature person for once. We drove out to another beautiful location for the rest of the day at Pablo Neruda’s house. We ate lunch at the restaurant there and sat overlooking the beach. It was so pretty and the food was so good I almost didn’t know what to concentrate on first. There was a little time between our tour time and when we finished eating so we walked around on the beach. I really wanted to find a boogie board and ride the waves because they were so big and bright blue. Then I remembered that its fall here and the water would be freezing. So it was probably a good choice that we didn’t all go swimming, even though that didn’t stop some people from getting splashed by the waves. Pablo Neruda’s house was very pretty. All of the items in his house were his personal belongings, and most of them were in their original locations. Pablo accomplished so many things, and it was obvious that he was interested in so many more things by the different types of things in his house. He had a huge seashell collection that rivals my sister’s collection; different bugs on display and drawing of them, and so much more. The guide told many odd stories about his life. She spoke in all Spanish, but I was amazed at what I was able to pick up from it. Granted, she talked soooo much slower than regular Chileans so that we could understand, but I was able to get the general idea of what she talked about in most of the rooms. We headed home earlier than usual because we didn’t have dance class. Today is one of the girls’ birthday so we’re letting her pick where we eat for dinner. Happy Birthday Allison!

No comments:

Post a Comment